Using up what we already have at home has led me to be a bit more inventive in the kitchen and I came up with this meal the other day. It’s really delicious, full of goodness and super cheap too!
- 1 x cup mixed beans (I’ve used pinto, mung and haricot in this recipe though any would do – or a pre-soaked can would do fine too)
- 1 x tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x stock cube (or teaspoon of bouillon etc)
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 x teaspoons cajun spice
- 2 x chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 x chopped onion
- 4 x medium sized potatoes
- splash milk
- knob butter
- olive oil
- 1 x cup grated cheese
In a saucepan cooke the pre-peeled and chopped potatoes. When soft, mash with the butter, all of the cheese and milk and set aside. In a seperate saucepan cook the chopped onion until softened, add in the mushrooms and beans and cook until mushrooms are also soft. Then add in all of the other ingredients.
Pour the bean mixture into your serving dish:
Top with the mashed potato mix and score with a fork to help crisp up:
Cook in the oven for 25 (ish mins) at 180C until golden on top. Serve with salad or mixed steamed vegetables.